Best HTML5 Frameworks For A Responsive Web Design 2018
Introduction To Framework
If you are a beginner in web development, you would rather be interested to find out what framework is. Let us explain. In short, the framework is the way to build a website. It is a set of files structure and standardized code folders (HTML, CSS, JS etc.) which are used for site development support. Most web pages have a similar structure because the main goal of frameworks is to offer the common pattern so developers can just re-use the code provided without redoing the page from the very beginning. You should also know that there are 2 types of the framework: front-end (presentation layer) and back-end (application layer).
The components of front-end frameworks are the following:
- CSS source for a grid, so the various components forming site design can be positioned in the easy and flexible way.
- Typographic style concept for HTML elements.
- Browser inconsistency solutions, so the web page can be displayed in any browser with no hassle.
- Standard CSS categories creating for styling enhanced components of UI.
Best HTML5 Frameworks For A Responsive Web Design
Due to the fact that responsive web design becomes more popular making web development easier, responsive frameworks quickly emerges. HTML5 frameworks are available with numerous useful features that are good for reducing programming tasks and additional codes to a minimum. Most of the responsive frameworks are also cross-browser compatible and facilitated, so your website speed remains the same. If you are currently searching for a good HTML5 framework, our list may help you choose the best.
This is a open source toolset created for a web development with the front-end frameworks. It provides well-known user interface elements, grid structure and JS plug-ins for typical situations. This framework contains four fundamental parts which are:
- Scaffolding technique represented by adaptive 12-column gridlines and markups. Make sure to active responsive features by yourself, because Bootstrap does not include them by default.
- Basic CSS is available with principle HTML components (tables, buttons, images etc.) updated with the extendable categories.
- Components are characterized by reusable instruments like combo boxes, a group of buttons, navigation control elements (tabs, breadcrumbs, lists etc.), icons, progress indicators and much more.
To make your Bootstrap even more powerful and useful, you may go ahead with some additional tools like the following:
- Layoutlt is a drag-n-drop builder grounded on the components of Bootstrap.
- Fuel UX will add some additional effortless JS controls.
- Bootswatch offers free themes for Bootstrap.
- Bootsnipp is characterized by a set of design components and HTML excerpts for a reviewed framework.
In short, 20% of 100,000 websites choose Bootstrap, that is why it is one of the most popular and reliable frameworks now.
Foundation is a community of adaptive frameworks allowing to create stunning responsive websites, applications, and emails that look great on any device. Being easy to use, Foundation is a perfect choice for beginners. Coming along with this exceptional front-end framework, you will get a wide range of the elements containing layouts, media, library packages, and navigation. Except for these components, you will also find HTML templates, icons fonts, Omnigraffle stencils and official documents. Foundation offers extensive features and is available not only for websites yet for emails as well. More about these options can be found on the official site.
We consider Skeleton to be a starting framework because most likely it has not been built for developing a fully operational website created with the integrated UI elements. On the official site, you may even find that the authors recommend using Skeleton for those who start from a small project and do not require a toolset of larger frameworks. Yet it is a user-friendly and clean responsive framework offering an adaptive layout grid, PSD template for modeling your web design, WordPress themes and much more. Skeleton also features:
- 12-column flexible grid with a maximum width of 960px that can be adjusted with a single line of CSS. This causes to correspondent resize of all columns.
- Typography base is Raleway supported by Google. Type is configured with the rems. Raleway is specified at 15rem (15px) over a 1.6 line height (24px).
- Buttons are available in two principal options: plain and dynamic.
- Lists and tables.
CreateJS is a suite of module libraries and tools for establishing a rich interactive content on open internet technologies. The framework consists of 5 JS libraries which are:
- EaselJS allowing to easily work with the HTML5 Canvas components.
- SoundJS for a productive operation with audio on the Internet.
- PreloadJS letting you control loading of the data.
- Zoe is an autonomous instrument for exporting SWF animations as EaselJS image files you can further use in Canvas and CSS.
Other features you may face using CreateJS are as follows:
- Browser support meaning that JS libraries are compatible with modern desktops and mobile web browsers.
- Workflow integration allowing to create UIs, animations and sources libraries that can be exported directly to CreateJS.
- Development of HTML5 advertisements.
This is another open-source framework for providing a super fast UX on the Internet. The main SproutCore goal is to create an easy-to-use system where developers are responsible for code functioning according to all the requirements, so such platforms like AppCache or Cordova can get a qualified support. Using this front-end framework, you will face the following features:
- Clean MVC architecture keeping the code prepared for a convenient maintenance.
- Improbable speed letting your clients get the requested data fast.
- Easy accessibility wherever you are.
- Incredible theming allowing to keep your app in a good look.
Less Framework is a CSS grid system allowing to create a responsive design. This front-end framework includes 4 pre-built markups (Default, Tablet, Mobile and Wide Mobile) and 3 sets of typography preset based on one grid. For more information on each layout, see the below list:
- Default layout is represented by 10 columns at 992px and best suited for desktops, laptops, and old browsers.
- Tablet layout is characterized by 8 columns at 768px and perfect for iPads and other tablets. Tablet layout is good for a full-form reading when centered, 6-column wide text is used.
- Mobile layout is offered with 3 columns at 320px for iPhones, iPod Touches, and other modern devices.
- Wide mobile layout is offered with 5 columns at 480px for bulky mobile devices along with iPhones and iPod Touches.
We have picked the most popular and powerful frameworks for you. In case you have used any other front-end frameworks and are pleased with their functionality, feel free to share your user experience in the comments below.