Is Gutenberg WordPress Editor Worthy of Using?
Briefly About Gutenberg WP Editor
Traits of this new WP editor
In 2017 a new “block” concept of editing WordPress pages was introduced, called Gutenberg. The project was named after Johann Gutenberg, who presented Europe with a first printing press. The intent was to replace the usual editor, which by default for many years was TinyMCE. In this new editor, all the content is not coded but is built from various blocks. It was inspired by the popular “visual” site designers of recent years. Gutenberg is similar in functionality to the popular page builders. A typical page that we are used to creating with the built-in editor TinyMCE, has turned into a container inside which you “build” your page. This new type of editor for WordPress became available as a plugin in June 2017. Anyone can download it and put it on their site. With Gutenberg Editor, you don’t need the knowledge of HTML or CSS. You have to just place blocks of content near each other. This way creating complex layouts became more accessible to most of the users.
Usage of Gutenberg
Contrary to popular belief, the Gutenberg editor is not a page builder in the most common meaning of this concept. It will be difficult to create articles with a complex grid and blocks. But for small-scale tasks and not very complex pages, Gutenberg should be well suited as it’s very intuitive. Developers of Gutenberg created a more intuitive experience of writing content. Text, images, quotes, videos. All this can be inserted as “blocks” on a web page. There are features that will allow you to easily move the block up or down using arrows, delete it, or go to the settings of the block. The most notable new features of the Gutenberg editor are:
- A block with tables. Now, creating tables is much easier, since you can insert them as blocks directly in the editor. This is very convenient since now you neither have to use third-party plugins, nor any HTML code.
- A “live” HTML block. You can insert your code and then preview the result to the right of the block. This is actually a pretty good idea and it can actually prevent some of us from giving up switching between the visual editor and the text editor modes.
- Recently used blocks. If you often use the same block for your content, the “Recent Blocks” feature will be very useful for you. It will speed up the insertion process.
- Adding media content. Gutenberg makes it easy to implement media content. It supports YouTube, SoundCloud, Twitter, Reddit, and many others. Although you could implement it before, many didn’t understand this, because the most visual editors didn’t mention this.
For the next couple of years, Visual Composer team shouldn’t be afraid of anything. But the developers of VC will also need to renew their editor to successfully compete with Gutenberg. As the Gutenberg editor drastically changes the process of editing pages. It will cause a rethinking of the process of creating themes and plugins for WordPress. For example, to align blocks, you can just click “Align Left” or “Align Right” or you can insert a special block with a separation of up to four columns. Developers also improved the shortcodes to ease adding a big amount of content to a page. The editor has special settings for YouTube videos, Reddit publications, and much more. It also revealed some hidden things about WordPress. The fact is that WordPress can use embedded content from dozens of resources. But in the default WordPress editor, there are no buttons for the convenient inclusion of their content. And the Gutenberg supports embedding content from about 35 resources. All you have to do is to enter the address of the resource you want to add the content from and the Gutenberg will do the rest.
Advantages of this new editor
Gutenberg feels great when working on a mobile device. The developers emphasize that the new editor provides:
- Placing blocks in different places of the page.
- Ability to use widgets and HTML5 shortcodes.
- The implementation of additional functions that were not available before.
- Simplification of the work with WordPress, which is very valuable for beginners.
As the creators of the editor note, they reacted to numerous questions from users who didn’t understand how to study the contents of TinyMCE. It’s enough to learn what Gutenberg blocks are and then you can automatically use them wherever necessary. In addition, they are easily integrated with any programs for viewing images.
The Gutenberg editor is designed for those who haven’t yet encountered the default editor of WordPress. The experienced users will have to change their habits and adapt to it. But new users will find a lot of pluses. For example, writing large articles will become more convenient. So far, Gutenberg has various reviews. The main problem is that not everyone needs blocks. The default WordPress editor is good enough and allows you to create sites of different styles. This editor has its own features. If you are used to website constructors, you can like Gutenberg more than the default editor. If you mostly work on a phone or tablet, we would you can also use Gutenberg or at least follow its development.